I just realized, after opening up the front page of this site, that is looks a bit weird in Internet Explorer 7…
The left border is placed far too much to the left; like this:
I got to be honest, I had completely missed that. I strictly use Firefox on my own PC, and only IE7 at work and don’t usually log on from work. However, I saw it now, and it looks terrible. I did some manual hacks in my source to combat a similar problem in IE6, but I have been completely inactive in HTML/CSS-editing for a year or so now, so I need to do some studying on how to fix it. If anyone has a quick fix, please don’t hesitate to comment here.
I’d like to present to you my latest side project; the new home page of the Scandinavian Cup golf tournament. Those of you who have seen the old one (still active at http://scancup.groth.hm) will see that it’s a dramatic change, and for the better I hope. Here’s a screenshot if you’re too lazy (or have no interest in it):
The short, not-so-technical explanation is that I based the new homepage on WordPress 2, making it very easy to update with news and articles. As I am somewhat of an HTML-dork I’d like to toot my own horn and explain the technical goodness of it too, I warn you: if you do not know what “wordpress” or “css” is, then stop reading now!
I warned you, I shall now dive into the technical details of the homepage… First of all, I set out to make the homepage using WordPress as sort of an experiment, to see how well you could utilize WordPress as a CMS – my conclusion is very well! The structure of the site is pretty much non-bloggy, but more classical news-site style. Nowhere will you see posts lined up after one another in chronological order – all the loops have been altered to act as sort of archives or lists of articles. The main page contains two loops showing the two main categories of posts: news and results. I have categorized all posts by type of post (news, results, etc.) and by which tournament it relates to (it’s a biyearly tournament). The backbone of the results pages are pretty much the same as the earlier page, i.e. it imports an .csv file of results and displays it in a table format. Fairly easy to just export the tournament results to .csv and upload.
It took me a few months to create it, mainly because I’m busy at work and lazy, but also because I was struggling with the CSS design. I changed between many different designs throughout the design period, and finally settled on the current one, which is slightly “Web 2.0” styled, although I hate to fall for design trends like that. Basically, I opted for Arial mainly (it’s a clean font, good for news/blogs I think) instead of Trebuchet or Verdana as I had dabbled with before. The color scheme is so-so, I must admit. I wanted it greenish to reflect the golf-theme, but I can’t say I am completely happy with the result. I consider the design of the site as work-in-progress. If anyone has any design ideas, feel free to contact me about it – I am not professional web designer so I find myself lacking that “magical touch” to make a site look perfect.
Two announcements today:
FIrst of all, a few days ago I stealthily launched the Lost in Japan store where I sell T-shirts with useful (hmmm?) Japanese text printed on them. For now, there is only one basic T-Shirt (in three variants) for sale, a shirt that says “日本語で大丈夫ですよ” which means “I do speak Japanese” or “I’m OK with Japanese” or something similar. The idea came to me before Christmas, so I quickly created three prototypes and gave one to my dad and one to my brother, and kept one for myself. It got a big laugh out of my gym instructor, that’s for sure!
Well, I shall try to conjure up more useful T-shirts in the future, so be sure to check back.
Second thing is, I fixed my CSS (see previous post about that here) with some more IE hacking. Now everyone (I hope) can view this site without problems, even in IE using other resolutions that 1024×768!
OK, I’ve had enough with Internet Explorer’s poor implementation of CSS!! I browse alsmost exclusively in Firefox, so I have been living under the impression that this blog looks fine for everyone. However, I recently changed monitor which now displays at 1280×1024 resolution, and it turns out that if you view this site in IE in any other resolution than 1024×768 it looks weird (specifically, the left sidebar moves too much to the left or right, depending on screen size).
I have a conditional CSS clause in my HTML to fix for IE (otherwise it would move all the way to the right) but it doesn’t seem to do the trick perfectly. If you view this site in Firefox, both bars will scale perfectly with increasing/decreasing of the viewing windows.
So, I need help! Please if anyone would be so kind as to look at my source and see if it’s possible to fix! Maybe I have to recode the CSS layout from scratch again – right now it’s a patch work built on the Kubrick source.